The Piedmont Authority for Regional Transportation was created in 1997. The existence of PART is based on regional cooperation and the improvements to the transportation systems in the Piedmont Triad Region of North Carolina. See the timeline of PART below.
- In the winter of 1989 the City Managers, Transportation Advisory Committee Chairpersons and the Director’s of Transportation for the City’s of Greensboro, High Point and Winston-Salem held a joint meeting to discuss transportation related issues in the Triad Region. It was a known necessity from all represented that better planning needed to occur to improve the transportation systems throughout the Piedmont Triad. A lack of communication and planning at the regional level between districts and divisions of the cities and state respectively has been a contributing factor to congestion and diminishing the quality of life we all share. In the fall of 1993 the NCDOT provided funding of what has been called “phase one study to develop a Regional Transportation Plan.”
- In the fall of 1995 the Transit 2001 Commission was appointed by Governor Jim Hunt to investigate the future of North Carolina’s transit industry.
- In the fall of 1996 a second phase of a Regional Transportation Study initiated a meeting of the Mayor’s throughout the Triad and others to discuss the formation of a new Triad Transportation Authority.
- In February 1997 the Transit 2001 Commission releases its final report. The Transit 2001 report has been regarded as the map for the future of North Carolina’s transit industry and is frequently referred to from citizens, professional staffs and elected officials throughout the state.
- In June 1997 the North Carolina General Assembly passes Article 27, GS160A authorizing the formation of a Regional Transportation Authority in the Triad. The NC General Assembly also appropriated $750,000 to conduct two separate rail corridor studies in the Triad to be administered by the new Regional Transportation Authority. Moreover, in June 1997 authorization for new revenue sources to fund Regional Transportation Programs was established.
- In the Fall of 1997 representatives of local governments met to arrange for the formation of a Regional Transportation Authority in the Piedmont Triad.
- On October 6, 1998 the Piedmont Authority for Regional Transportation held its inaugural meeting of the Board of Trustees. The PART Board of Trustees has been meeting regularly since the inaugural meeting of 1998. The Board of Trustees have established a work program, adopted a business plan and have increased staff to manage the activities of the Regional Transportation Authority.
- The underlying success to date and the future of our continued success will always be founded upon our regional cooperation. The existence of PART is based on regional cooperation and the improvements to the transportation systems in the Piedmont Triad Region of North Carolina.